Whether your the weekend warrior who loves to go for a run/walk , lift heavy weights or do some sort of resistance training or even you have a sit down job and live a sedantry lifestyle movement should be important to you because without movement we will simply die and although thats a harsh way of looking it is the truth.
Being restricted with movement be it a injury or a little niggle can result in time away from the gym which can have an effect on your goal whether it be getting fitter , stronger or even weight loss
Here’re are some easy steps to get you back in the gym without pain:
- Rest. Yes, you’re not going to be working out for a while. Yes, you can hate me, but do so from the comfort of your couch for at least a few days until you can walk, jog, and bend in all directions without pain.
- Go see a good chiropractor, acupuncturist, or massage therapist. Your practitioner knows the lumbar region and knows it well . Particulary with your massage therapist they can increase blood flow which also means waste products from the trauma area getting cleared out. These are good things.
- Yoga / RomWod Increased range of motion leads to better position and recovery in all athletic and functional movements. Achieving better position leads to increased power and efficiency. By moving closer to proper movement patterns through increased range of motion you decrease your chance for injury
- Foam Roller/ Lacrose Ball . If you don’t have access to any care and you’re completely on your own then your first step is to get extremely familiar with your foam roller or lacrose ball . Roll back and forth over the painful areas, slowly and carefully for ten minutes or until you start to feel an decrease in the discomfort.
- Nutrition.Lastly, it’s time to make very certain you’re eating in the most anti-inflammatory manner possible. It’s time to ditch the grains and make sure you’re getting your fish oil on a daily basis. Reducing inflammation system wide will allow your body to focus on the acute injury and not spend it’s healing energies elsewhere!
Its important to note doing all of the above on a regular basis will help you maintain full range of motion and keep the body and mind healthy
Checkout the video below there are 11 exercises you can do to keep a healthy lower back all year round.