Sleep is the foundation of a persons health & well-being and an important factor of any athletes recovery process. Below is some points to help maximise your sleep time.
1. Make your bedroom as natural as possible. Doing this by killing any use of artificial lighting such as T.Vs, computers, phones and invest in heavy blinds so no outside sun can effect your sleeping pattern.
2. No caffeine after lunch time. Caffeine is stimulant which works by keeping you awake and does effect your sleeping, so none after 12pm and you will see big improvements in your sleeping.
3. Drink a good measure of water, 40-60 minutes before bed. This will keep your body hydrated and majority of the water should of exited your body before you go to sleep, so your not awakened in the middle of the night to go to the toilet.
4. Exercise can help you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly if done at the right time. Exercise stimulates the body to secrete the stress hormone cortisol, which helps activate the alerting mechanism in the brain. This is fine, unless you're trying to fall asleep. Try to finish exercising at least three hours before bed or work out earlier in the day.
5. Follow through! Some of these tips will be easier to include in your daily and nightly routine than others. However, if you stick with them, your chances of achieving restful sleep will improve.
A supplement we suggest to use to help maximise your sleep is Progenex Cocoon. This is a slow release protein which we stock at Crossfit For Fitness. Here is some feedback from a few of our coaches who are using Progenex
- . Firstly sleep has been awesome Ive woken up energised ready for the day feeling strong.
- . Smaller portions at dinner , I know that I have my Cocoon waiting for me 40 min before I go to bed so I never overindulge at dinner time and it stops me from having a snack / dessert before I go to bed .
- I train in the mornings and feel a lot stronger after getting quality sleep
- Side Effects I have th odd Crazy Dream :)
I hope some of these tips can help your sleeping patterns improve and increase your recovery period.
For a FREE trial and to see how the Row can help improve your training click here